Monday, April 14, 2014

Still Here

I'm still here, although I am having a hard time blogging with any regularity, or even at all.  I think about writing, them I go have a cup of coffee instead.  Maybe having a Starbuck's AND a Costa in walking distance does have it's downside. I'm not sure why I'm not in the bloggy mood lately, and in truth I'm not exactly in the mood today, but I finally decided that if I wait until the mood strikes it could be a really long time before there is another blog post. I guess at this point I have two options: 1. Let Cyberbones quietly disappear or 2. Fake it until the bloggy mood comes back.  I'm going with the fake it until you make it option. My new goal is to get something, pretty much anything,  up on the blog 3 times a week.

Things are going along as normal here in Oman.  The kids go to school, Dave goes to work, and I spend my days cooking, cleaning, crafting, hanging with friends, and lately taking a few courses on line.  A few weeks ago I finished my first ever Coursera course, an introduction to paleontology through the University of Alberta.  I really enjoyed it and kinda wish I lived near Alberta so I could take a few more paleontology classes.   I'm hoping to take more courses in the future and explore some other areas of interest.  I'm also using Duolingo to work on my (sadly lacking) Spanish skills, mostly so I don't feel like a total idiot when the 6th grader needs help on his Spanish homework.  So far all I've proved is I am not smarter than a 6th grader, and I still have no idea how to say that in Spanish.

The heat has set back in with a vengeance.  It's only in the mid 90's today, but the little desk top weather app on my computer says it will be in the 100's the rest of the week.  Yippee.  That was sarcasm if you missed it. The winter here was so lovely that for a few months I forgot about the heat, but it came back anyway.  Yesterday while buckling my seatbelt I accidentally let the little metal thingy hit my arm.  It was so hot it left a red burn mark that lasted for a couple of hours.  At least Texas is going to feel nice and cool by comparison. Oh, and all you people that keep telling me "But it's a dry heat."  No, no its not. I can see the ocean from the 3rd floor balcony.  It is a very very humid, walk outside and have to take your glasses off because they instantly fog up kind of heat.  It feels like a sauna out there.  A very hot and sandy sauna.

That about covers things here.  I'll be back later this week with an update on our plans for summer.  Now I think I'll go have a frap as a reward for getting a blog post up.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously. Blog breaks. I've been trying so hard myself. And with JUST moving here (to Chile) I should have stories flying off my fingertips.... And of course you get to the point when you've waited so long that your post should be all fantastic and splashy (I HATE offering lists of excuses!) - anyway. Good to see you here. I always look forward to hearing about you, your boys and their excellent hi-jinx. What are you busy crafting??

Connie said...

You have described our weather almost exactly... except we are having a drizzle-y hot humid day. I don't actually know if it's raining, or if the humidity is just hitting critical mass and falling out of the sky? And we have dust too. It's dark out right now (4:30pm) and I don't know if there will be more drizzle or more dust? My rinsing off the car today was a total waste of time.

I understand the lack of blogging. I've been feeling so laid back about things that I have rarely felt like actually posting blogs. I assume it will come back to me. I'm not going to fret about it. :) A cup of coffee sounds good to me about now too!

Shannon said...

fromthebackofbeyone - Nothing as cool as your Tee-Pee, although I am wondering if my boys are too old for one of those, I have a "few" yard of kitenje laying around. I started going through some mystery boxes when HHE arrived and found a stack of yarn and partially crochets blankets I inherited from my mother-in-law. After a few false starts I have almost finished an afghan she started before she passed away. Its sort of soothing to sit and crotchet while watching the TV or listening to NPR.

Connie for me I think FB is largely taking the place of blogging, but really it is a completely different kind of social media. I hope I can find a way to balance both. I miss the blog community, not only did I let my blog go but I have mostly stopped reading blogs and I miss it.

Monica said...

yay for a blog post!!! I've missed your posts! looking forward to may!!! :D

Nomads By Nature said...

So glad you are back and not melted! You are right about summer in Texas... no sweat, literally. You will be all "Let's walk outside, it's so lovely!" and "ooooh, I need a light jacket, hold on" with 104 temps outside.

Shannon said...

Nomads I am really looking forward to being in Texas this summer, but I am really hoping I don't need a jacket. I'm looking forward to wearing shorts, skirts that show knees (gasp!) and tank tops instead of being modestly covered.

Nomads By Nature said...

You will feel completely naked (and cold) and feel even more shocked just shopping in a store with the amount of skin showing on those around you. We were near Schlitterbahn water park and the river... it was like having the naked parade running through town with their tubes. A summer of cultural extremes (Muscat to New Braunfels)- but a summer with great queso, onion rings, fiery salsas and Shiner. Man, I miss Texas.

Shannon said...

I have a house you can feel free to come visit anytime. I will think of you as I sip on my Shiner and inhale onion rings and catfish this summer.

I worked as a lifeguard at schlitterbahn when I was in college (the first year the new section opened) totally get the naked people parade.

Seriously I will be there until mid August you are totally welcome to come stay for a few days if you want, or if you are in the states when we are not there drop me a line and you are welcome to crash at our house in SA. Its little but comfy.

Nomads By Nature said...

What a sweet invite! I'd love to take you up on it - this summer we will be back only to just get the teen set off to college in ABQ. She finally chose! And we can afford it!!! Maybe a side trip to TX the next summer will be in our plans! Gotta meet you all in real life at some point!

Just US said...

Yay! Welcome back to the blogging world again friend!